Question
Posted by: Lee | 2004/11/15

Frequent headaches - 13 year old

My 13 year old daughter has frequent headaches. I have had her eyes tested and I was told she is a little short sighted. Having glasses has not helped. A few months ago she had such a bad headache our doctor thought she had menengitis. This came back negagtive and he then said he thought it was a migraine. When she has a headache she is nausous (she often throws up), she complains that she is dizzy and the only thing that helps is to sleep in a dark room for about 4 hours. She has been getting them at least once every two weeks recently and just had an attack this morning. The problem is they come on so suddenly and I then have to get to school to get her home. I called my GP this morning who suggested I try something stronger for her headaches (I have not given her anything before) called Cataflam D. Please let me know what you think about it or should I have other tests done?

Lee, it sounds like migraine from this side of the screen and the best would be to take her to a neurologist or a paediatrician to have the diagnosis confirmed as it might of course be due to something more serious like a neurological problem or something like diabetes. If you’re interested in something i wrote on migraine you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.