Question
Posted by: Greta | 2007/05/28

Frequent diarrhea

My 8 yr old daughter has frequent bouts of diarrhea - once or twice a week. I live in Saudi Arabia and was concerned that she has picked up a bug she couldn't get rid of. When I was last home on holiday in South Africa I asked our family doctor to check this out. She conducted tests, but found nothing. The problem continues, causing great discomfort and embarressment for my child at school. She has missed quite a bit of school because she is often up for hours during the night. I am really concerned. Please can you advise me on the use of probiotics and children, and probiotics in the treatment of diarrhea. Thank you.

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Dear Greta
Certain Probiotics have been extensively tested in clinical trails and have been shown to reduce both the chance of getting diarrhoea and the duration of watery stools once a child has got diarrhoea. The effect was most marked if the probiotic is started as early as possible after symptoms have occurred.
Secondly, these probiotics are safe to administer to children.
An example of such probiotics include Lactobacillus reuteri (strain ATCC 55730) and Lactobacillus rhamnousus (strain GG).
For more information refer to www.biogaia.se.
It is worth trying your daughter on a probiotic.
If you have no luck I suggest that you again consult a Dr. to get to the route cause of the problem.