Question
Posted by: vanessa | 2004/01/28

frequency

i just got a new treadmill and i have never really worked out. i would like to lose a few pounds, but i'm mainly interested in toning up. as far as the treadmill is concerned, how long and how many days a week should i work out? also, how do you read the screen on the treadmill that reads your pulse and what should my heartrate be at. im 28 and weigh 118 lbs and im 5'2. thank you

Hi Vanessa

I suggest you go to the fitness page of this website and click on "Shape up for Summer". There you will find walking and running programmes. You will need to start on the walking programme, but it will prescribe the duration and frequency of your sessions.

I'm not sure how your treadmill works, but you should be aiming to workout at a heart rate of about 135 - 155 beats per minute (70 - 80 of your maximum heart rate). This is just a rough guide.

Good luck - I hope the training programme works well. Don't forget to include some toning exercises as well, as per the programme!