Question
Posted by: Shanti | 2004/10/08

Frekie

Hi. doc
I have a staffie male spade, 3yrs and 6mths old, i love him dearly but i do have a concern about him, in his short lifetime he had tickfever and infections by the dozens, his mother died at the age of 4yrs due to cancer and she also was always sick, so maybe it runs in the genes, but i dont want to loose him, should i take him to a specialist and what kind of specialist?How can i lift his immunity? Thankyou very much for yr. answer.

The best thing you can do for him is just ensuring good general health. This includes feeding the best quality diet you can afford, regular vaccinations and deworming and at the same time clinical examinations by your veterinarian. Use effective tick control products (available from your veterinarian) to avoid him getting biliary and tick bite fever. Do not allow him to become overweight.

General good care, love and exercise by the best things you can do for your dog!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: carol | 2004/10/09

Ahhhhhhhhh ok .... send me an email ... i think u need holistic and homeopathic treatment with this guy ..ill give u the details

Montysmom27atyahoo.com

Reply to carol
Posted by: Shanti | 2004/10/09

Dear Carol,
Maybe i didnt express myself clearly, Frekie i think is one of the best care of dogs in the whole world. The vet got rich out of me, only one tick is too much for him, the vet told me that he is a very, very sensitive dog and i am concerned about his immunity because the smallest injury can give him inflamation or infections ( he is a very playfull dog). He is getting all his regular injections yearly, he is eating vets choice, i use regular flea and tick sprays on him and my other dogs, and he gets a bath every week and he is sleeping with me on my bed. This is just to show you that i care very much for freek and i do love him very much, as i have said that his mother died at the age of 4yrs because of cancer and she was also always sick taken to the vet numeriously so i am just afraid that Freek is going the same route, and i dont want to loose him, so thats why i am asking for help to get his ummunity up to make him stronger. Thankyou anyway for your answer i appreciate that.

Reply to Shanti
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/08

Getting tickbite fever and infections has got nothing to do with genetics.

He is getting tickbite fever from ticks .... Dogs must be treated regulary for ticks .. use a good product like frontline.

The same thing for infections ... what kind of infections is he getting ? if he has wounds that are getting infected its because the wounds have not being cleaned and stitched or whatever.

Constant bouts of tick bite fever is going to weaken him and im not sure their is much u can do.

Without meaning to be rude I think u need to take a careful look at the general hygiene and well being of your dog.

take him to the vet have him cleaned up properly have the ticks treated and get him on to the best possible diet ..... ask yr vet for a good tonic for him and you may still have him around for a few years.

His bedding also needs to be treated BTW

Reply to Carol