Question
Posted by: Patrick | 2003/02/01

Freaky allergies!

I have all of a sudden developed this serious list of food allergies at 35 years old. To shorten it - All Nuts, Wheat, Oats, Maize, Dairy, Sesame seed, Buck wheat, Penicillium notatum, Rye, Potato, Grapes, Raisin, Malt, Hops(inc. all alcohol except for Tequila - made from cactus). That crosses out all cereals except Rice Crispies(oh yay) aswell as all Breads, non wheat breads(usually made from Rye), Pizza, Pasta, Biscuits, Milk, Chocolates, Cheese etc. I have now found that our Western Culture is based on these foods! Even little ol Smarties and Liquorice Allsorts has wheat in them. I was counting on Potato to get me through winter ... untill I found that was a no go either. This is all Lab tested blood samples. My IgE is nearly 7000 - instead of the acceptable 0.00 - 25.00IU/mL. I have no previous allergies. I was on 8 courses of anti-biotics for Staphylococcos Aureas(bacteria). Do you think these food allergies could have started because of the anti-biotics? There are no other underlying medical conditions - besides Asthma since childhood.

Dear Patrick
It is difficult to say if the antibiotics started the allergies. What usually happens in adults is that you gradually build up antibodies against certain foods or components of foods and when the so-called antibody titre (level in the blood) reaches a critical level, then the patient starts to develop allergic symptoms. Because you have such a complex problem I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name of your nearest dietitian), so that she/he can work out a diet for you that takes all your allergies into account.