Question
Posted by: Marcie | 2007/06/23

fractured toe

please advise me..... how long does it take for a fractured toe to heal? I am in such pain after walking all day... (I have strapped the toe close to the next one fir support.... but the swelling simply does not go down... this is now more than a month.
I live on Nurophen which I know is not good. My other foot now has developed intense pain .... toe joint and heel bone.... so cant walk properly on either feet! I have tried medication (colchecine) but it does not help. so I doubt that its gout. It seems as though my foot "pad" is swollen as is my big toe....
Any suggestions. Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Marcie:
I highly advise that you consult a physician to receive a diagnoses so that you can treat the symptoms and causes of the injury. It is dangerous to self diagnose and treat with medications as you could end up doing more harm to your body. To answer your question, a fracture generally begins to heal after 6 weeks post injury. However, depending on the severity of the fracture, the healing time could be extended.
Please seek medical attention.

Go well