Question
Posted by: D-Bit | 2007/03/05

Fractured Tibia

I would just like to find out I had a motorbike accident on the 1st September 06 and suffered a seriously factured tibia, I have undergone extensive reconstructive surgery and had a Hoffman external fixator attached to my leg for 4.5 months, due to cysts forming they removed it last week and have now put on a cast, however when they done x-rays on the leg last week the bone had not healed at all, my first question is how long do you think it will take for the bone to heal (if at all) and secondly the pain is really extreme and cannot eat or sleep, my doctors have me on a combination of Lentogesic and myprodol which is not helping is their something stronger that I can take for the pain

Kind Regards
DBIT

Dear D-Bit
It depends on where you are being treated - in the private sector orthopods may be more aggressive by packing the bone with some of your pelvic bone if there is no infection - I think they would want the holes from the Hoffman to heal first, in the academic or provincial sector they may want to be more conservative and give it longer time to heal on its own. Ask your doctor about Tramal as alternative to what you are taking for pain now?
It may help to take Vit C, vit D, Calcium supplements and to stop smoking if you are smoking. Hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatment may also help but is expensive.