Question
Posted by: San | 2005/12/14

Fractured ankle

I fractured my ankle 4 weeks ago and it is still in a brace. What can I do to start reahbilitation on my ankle.

thanks

Expert ImageArchive

Dear San

It is difficult to tell you what you can and cannot do as I have not had a look at your ankle and heard how you fractured it. Your ankle is a very important joint, as it is the link between your body and the ground and supports all your weight when standing and walking. I suggest you see a biokineticist for rehabilitation, as simply leaving it may bring along imbalances that could cause problems later in life.

In the meantime, try some aquatherapy. This is a safe way to strengthen the joint, reduce swelling and get the muscles working again, as there is no load on the joint in the water. Aquatherapy should be done in a shoulder depth pool and not in the sea. Some exercises you can do:

Walk a length of the pool putting equal pressure on both feet: roll the foot heel-to-toe as you walk, exaggerating correct walking patterns. Also try walking on your toes and perhaps on your heels.
Try ankle circles in the pool.
Calf raises in the pool (up and down on your toes).
Kicking (breaststroke and/or freestyle).

Warning: do not do anything that is painful. It is best to do rehabilitation under the supervision of a trained rehabilitation professional.

1
Posted by: Jennie | 2006/03/08

I received a bimalleolar fracture of my left ankle last Wednesday. Had operation in Switzerland where 4 screws were inserted. What is Volkmann Triangle which was mentioned as well? I am told I can increase the weight after four weeks on the foot but when will I be able to walk normally again?

Also why do I get burning shooting pains in my big toe joint at night?

Reply to Jennie