Posted by: Melbalina | 2008/10/08

Fortiflex and Advice on Puppy Nutrition

Hello there :). I have two quick questions to ask, the one sounding like a very stupid one lol

Fist Quesiton: I have recently put my senior cat on Fortiflex 225 and she gets 1/5 in the morning and 1/5 at night, with her meals. I have noticed a wonderful improvement in her gait (she has arthritis in her front, right elbow), but have also noticed a huge increase in appetite! She is wanting to eat alot more now, but, unfortunately, we cannot give her more food as she is on a strict diet of Hills RD (she is loosing weight at a nice, slow pace). Does anyone think it' s related? She has become more active since, but not so much that she' s bounding all over the place.

Second Question: My neighbour' s dog has had her second litter of 10 x pups. Thankfully, she has agreed to have her dog spade after the pups are weaned. The pups are now 3 weeks old and all in good health. She wants to know if she can start feeding them Pedigree soft food yet. Unfortuantely, I don' t know alot about dog brands, having cats myself and I have read online alot of cons about Pedigree. I do know that they can' t afford much and this is probably why they are choosing Pedigree and not a science diet. I am concerned about the mother as she has lost alot of weight since giving birth. Can anyone suggest what she can be given to help restore her to full health please? Thanks all!

Dear Melbalina

1. The increase in appetite is likely to be from increased activity. I have not had the drug on its own increase the appetite that much.

2. I would put the bitch on puupy food straight away and feed her as much as she wants. Ultradog is a very affordable food, good quality. The pups can start to eat a little bit from 4 weeks of age. Soak the Ultradog in hot water to start off with.

Posted by: WR | 2008/10/09

I can' t advise or comment on the cat.

Regarding the dog(s) - With a big litter like that I' d suggest that she definately start the pups on softened puppy food asap. Keep mom away though. And she should have access to food continuosly, and obviously water.

Reply to WR