Question
Posted by: Randy | 2004/01/31

Forgetfullness

Dear Cyber shrink

I work in a Call Centre, and I take alot of calls each day. I have noticed recently that I tend to forget peoples names within my group. I work odd shifts, alot of stress, do lack a bit of sleep.

If I try to remember some or something takes me about just under a minute to remember. Yes..I have a very good memory, exceptional at that... Do u think I may have a medical problem..

I have just been through a case of Anxiety..and I don't need anymore problems.

Is my case common?

Dear Randy,
There are so many possible causes of mild memory impairment. Stress will do it, shift work, and disturbed sleep ( ofen a consequence of shift work ). When you say you've "recently been through a case of anxiety" I wonder if you have been and are still taking some of the drugs typically used in treating anxiety, the benzo's ( the Valium family of drugs ) --- because they can interfere with one's memory. ( Indeed, some dentists used to like using intravenous Valium when doing awful things to your teeth, not because it relieved the pain, but because it could reliaby make you forget that there had been any pain !
yes, there are numerous possible physical causes of pain, but they don't sound especially likely in your current situation. I'd also guess that if you do "odd shift work " this can mean that the specific people you work with may change more than in a more usual job, giving you more names to remember ; and in a busy job, one often doesn't have enough time to place those names firmly in one's memory in the first place, thus having more trouble in trying to recall them.