Posted by: Shawn | 2008/09/10

Forced layoff

Today I was driving to the gym and a truck ran a red light and hit my car. I' m fine but the car' s obviously damaged.
So I know that with insurance companies and the panel beater I can easily expect to be car-less for a good 3 weeks. Lucky I work for myself from home so that makes things easier.
I' m just dreading missing the gym.

So I' m a very heavy lifter and I' ve had some great results over the last few months. I usually take a week off every 8 weeks anyway so I' m due for that next week. But 2 extra weeks has me worried.

So what can I do to hold onto most of my gains over this time?
I will have no access to weights.
I know that I have to take it easy when I go back but I want to minimise the effects of this layoff.

Hi Shawn

Shame, I'm sorry about the accident. At least your missing gym is related only to a car "injury" and not something that would force you to miss out as a result of serious injuries yourself.

I think that for the next week or so you should look at body weight exercises if you really can't make it to the gym. There's nothing really that one can do at home to take the place of the very specific lifting you'd have been doing there. If it was cardio type stuff and general, then sure, it's not that difficult. But for the heavy lifting, much more difficult, because it's more specialised. SO of course, option one is to get to the equipment, but if that's absolutely impossible, then body weight is the next best thing, at least for the two weeks either side of your rest week.

But push hard on those panel beaters and see if you can get it down to two weeks, or even better, beg or borrow a set of wheels. But it's body weight that is next best.