Question
Posted by: Sara | 2007/05/14

For those of u feeling suicidal ...

Bear with me here, this might be a bit of a long story - but i'm sure you'll want to hear the end of it. My brother in law - about 1.5 months ago tried to overdose using sleeping tablets and alcohol. Needless to say, it didn't work. After the attempt, he seemed to be normal and went to go and live with his sister. Since then he has started developing severe neurological conditions, to the extent that he cannot control his own bladder, thought process or memories. My sister bought him up to have him diagnosed which we received this weekend.

He has what is called leukoencephalopathy (PML for short). Due to the suicide attempt he released a virus that 85% of humans have in their kidneys that remain dormant. This virus is called the JC Virus. He now has between 1 - 4 months to live.

So, before you think of swallowing those pills, make sure its what you really want to do and if its worth it. Cause if you are only doing it as a CRY FOR HELP, be sure to know that you actually could be killing yourself, more SLOWLY and more PAINFULLY than you originally intend.

Its never worth it, and if you fail, you could be setting yourself up for more misery than what it is worth. Do you really want to put your family through what mine now has to go through? Sitting there, watching you detorirate day in and day out. Wearing nappies though your a grown adult????

Hope this gave you some food for thought.

A chilling story, Sara. I hadn't heard of this particular sequence of events, but after many years of working with suicidal people, I have met so many different situations in which the situation was so much better than they sincerely believed at the time, and where the results were so very different from what they expected.

4
Posted by: me | 2007/05/14

I can certainly say that thinking of taking overdose is not the answer to live problems.I have tried it and it had not work.But I actily tought of it this way i could have died maybe but i got a second chance in life.But even do i do think about it sometimes i rather speak about it to someone i trust just what i find if someone is just able to listen it means a alot to that person.

Reply to me
Posted by: C. | 2007/05/14

Slr, if they don't REALLY WANT to, and so many don't, talking to them in this exact manner helps a great deal. Ask me. Talking HELPS! This forum helped.

Reply to C.
Posted by: slr | 2007/05/14

telling a person not to commit suicide because they won't succeed is not the answer.

treating the CAUSE i.e. chemical imbalance is the way to go.

otherwise....they will just go lie on a train track, or jump from a 100m bridge.

Reply to slr
Posted by: C. | 2007/05/14

Thank you Sara. Point taken. And my thought (if I can muster one) will be with you and your family. Your brother must be devastated. I would be. I took pills several times and 3 of those times never went to hospital, but slept it out and went on with my life. No-one ever knew. Will be thinking twice next time. Although I strongly suspect there WON'T be a next time.

Reply to C.