Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/06

For guys 45+ and/or 40+

are there any guys who are 45+ or 40+ here? i need to ask you an important question - maybe your answers can help me a lot.

thanks

Expert ImageForumArchive

Stress is often a cause of Erectile Dysfunction. The blood flow to the penis simply doesn't happen when men experiece stress. The best definition of stress is the "body's response to real or imagined threat" and we go into a "fight or flight" response. The key here is the "real" or "imagined" threat. An issue which is underlying in our unconscious mind can trigger the physical response. Stress = no blood to the penis.

A therapist will help with the causes of the stress, but all men in their 40's and onwards should have a yearly checkup with a Urologist. The cuase could be psychological or physical - check them both.

Men are not particularly good at asking for advice or help, especially when it comes to issues like ED.

11
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/06

Wow - Man Talk, thanks a lot. That gives me a picture.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Dr Who | 2006/04/06

Probably pure embarrassment - You are still young and he can't get it up - I know I would feel a bit shitty

Reply to Dr Who
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/06

Thanks, i'll check it out, even though I wanted some guys insight as to why would they hide it from their partners.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Dr Who | 2006/04/06

At the top of that page there is a list of repeated questions - the first one deals with ED and it is quite informative.

Reply to Dr Who
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/06

Yeah I checked the ED forum but the turnaround for responses there seem to be very low.

I dont want Elna's response as I find her useless half the time. If I want her response I'll just go to her practice maybe she responds better when she gets paid.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Dr Who | 2006/04/06

Hi, try the Sex forum on Health24 - there is a section on ED -

Reply to Dr Who
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/06

Thanks, I wish I could relate with someone who does. He goes to the gym 5 times a week, eats very healthy and drinks once in a while, he loves his whiskey. But I dont say that does not cause ED. I just wish that I can have a way of approaching him. Since i found out that I am now very reserved. I find myself being a farm girl, only expects to have sex at night, even then, he has to initiate, I cant initiate anything because I am scared of embarassing him incase it does not stand up.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Dr Who | 2006/04/06

Hi concerned,

Luckily I do not have any problems as yet. Obviously it is not as "rock hard" as it used to be but I still have sex about 6 times a week on average. I train daily and watch my diet. I also take a lot of vitamins (nothing to enhance sexual performance though). The only alcohol that I drink is beer about 3 times a week.
He should not be embarrassed about his condition though....

Hope this helps..........

Reply to Dr Who
Posted by: Concerned | 2006/04/06

Dr Who,

do you suffer from ED??? my bf is 45, our sex life hasn't been great. To me our relationship is not about sex, I enjoy his company and he enjoys mine. I am 29. When i 1st dated him about 6 months ago, our sex life was fine, well i did not compare him to my ex's as that wouldn't be fair considering his age.

One day I saw some Levitra in his cupboard and I was concerned. That gave me answers to my few questions, if eg. we are just chilling and I start initiating sex, he would tell me he is not ready, that made me realise that maybe he did not take his pills (i am not sure how they work).

Now I realised that he uses Levitra often but he is hiding it from me. How do I approach him and tell that it is okay, he does not have to hide it from me? I want us to have an open relationship where he can tell me anything especially things that relate to our sex life.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/06

Bf is 40, I'll answer for him

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Dr Who | 2006/04/06

ask away........44yo

Reply to Dr Who