Question
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/19

For Flower - Re: MegaEsophagus

Hi Flower

Here is a response from one of the resources in the US, I hope this helps a bit:

"To begin with, there are different sorts of ME - primary sorts that the dog is born with as a puppy and secondary ME that can be brought on with Senior dogs or dogs with other conditions. Myastenia Gravis (sp) is a disease that brings on ME and any adult dog that gets ME should be tested for it - as it's a blood test to diagnose and very treatable once found (ME will be gone once treated).

Anyway, with Senior ME, there are again different severities and some are more manageable than others. The main goal is to maintain the nutrition of the dog and avoid aspiration, which can lead to pneumonia.

I don't know anything about "bailey's chair", but feeding on a stair case or with the dog standing on a box. I did find this link for the thing, and it includes a link to the yahoo ME list:

www dot geocities dot com/bailey_chair/

I have had a senior ME dog, and know of others, and no one used something as extreme as this chair. With a large dog I'm not sure it would be practical/possible and the website says they do not sell them, that you would need to build your own.

If you do a google search for canine megaesophagus it will give you alot of information, likewise if you type that into the main yahoo groups page www dot yahoogroups dot com it will probably give you more than one mailing list with info.

I know an assortment of dogs with secondary/senior ME that live for years with the condition, usually the trick is adjusting the diet to something they tolerate well and is highly nutritious. Using things like Pepcid to lower stomach acid and walking after meals often is all that is needed.

It would be helpful, though, if possible, to find a vet that is more optimistic about the disease, if not more knowledgeable."

I am still waiting for some more info and will post as soon as I get it.

Joni

What area are you in and what is the specific diagnosis that was made?

1
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/20

Hi Flower

Just downloaded a brilliant 8 page document on MegaEsophagus, please mail me with your email address jonivanderwesthuizen at yahoo dot com. It is very very informative.

Joni

Reply to Joni