Question
Posted by: lulu | 2005/12/07

For Cronje: "Suicidal"

Let me give you the reality we experienced of what CS suggets in his reply: (No disrespect meant, CS....)

My brother is suicidal and threatens to kill a certain other person too. We went to talk to a psychologist on Friday and he suggested having him committed to either Weskoppies, Sterkfontein, Denmar or Tara. Very nice advice... Gave me the numbers to phone to enquire what the admission procedures are even. What a surprise!

The short answer: We cannot have him admitted to a psychiatric hospital on our own. He has to be referred there by a provincial hospital psychiatrist / psychologist after spending at least 72 hours in the said hospital for observation. If he refuses, we can call the police to force him to go, but then neither Tara nor Weskoppies are prepared to take him. If it's involuntary, only Sterkfontein is willing to take him in after the 72 hours observation.

Good luck convincing your sister to go to a provincial hospital for 72 hours. We decided to stay clear and prepare for his funeral...

Sorry to hear about that, lulu --- sounds like the Mental Health Act is not being operated properly by some of these lazy state and hospital based shrinks. I hope Cronje is more fortunate. There are provisions in the Law for admission for Observation, as an emergency, but I didnt notice any requirement for this to be at a State hospital before admission to a private facility --- considering the grotesque facilities and staff at some state facilities, this could amount to a breach of human rights.

2
Posted by: lulu | 2005/12/07

Good luck!

Reply to lulu
Posted by: Cronje | 2005/12/07

Thank you lulu. i have been in contact with other family members and we meeting tomorrow night. i will keep u posted about the outcome. Thank you all for advice!

Reply to Cronje