Question
Posted by: Brandy | 2004/12/23

Footballer's wife

I am 24. Ever since i was 13 i have always had this fantasy of being a footballer's girlfriend. Wanted to travel with him around Europe to different clubs. Now i am in a relationship and im ok but at the back of my mind i still have this idea that one day i will meet a footballer and end up being a footballer's wife. Its not a particular player though. Am i inlove with the image maybe ???Pls explain this is been going on for half my life!!!!

It's called a fantasy. So long as one can enjoy it, not let it interfere with your real-life fantasy, and not expect it to come true, it's fine. Having bumped into Victoria and David Beckham in a VIP lounge at Heathrow a while back, they didn't look happy or healthy enough to be enviable, to me. If the fantasy and its non-fulfilment is bothering you significantly, do see a counsellor to work this through

3
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/23

Hi Brandy,

My girlfriend was a bit like you, & just recently let go of that... Sometimes I don't know how I am so attracted to her coz I kinda cannot stand "groupies", anyway that's a whole other story.

I think if you're in a relationship that you're ok with then you maybe will not want this as bad as you do. You could be "infatuated" with the image, & I don't think any1 of us would be able to properly explain this to you here.

I would suggest 2 things to you though. 1 is that if this is bothering you as much as it does then you should discuss it with a counsellor. & the other is that if you have the opportunity to do this then you take it, so that you eventually find out what it actually is like. Sometimes the grass may look so much greener on the other side that it really tempts us a great deal. Maybe if you put yourself through the experience then you would know where you would want to be.

Being a footballer's wife is not as glamorous as you think up here. With it comes a whole lot of jealousy & a load of insecurities. Besides, I think most teenage girls latch onto the idea of having a soccer/football/rugby player as "their" boyfriend... unfortunately some take longer to let go of that fantasy, & there are only so many players in a team...

Good luck Brandy, but I would also suggest that you do something about it as it is not fair to your current partner... sooner or later it will come out & maybe this might be not at the best of moments.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: so | 2004/12/23

so,you want to be like Victoria Bekham then?
Well i think you should hold on to your dreams,you never know,what the future might have in store for you.

Reply to so
Posted by: Unknown | 2004/12/23

I think you maybe be attracted to football players.You want to marry one!

Reply to Unknown