Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2005/07/16

Foot problem...

I injured my left foot about 3 months ago by tripping. I have had an MRI, bone scan & xray and all were normal. However, my foot definately did not feel normal. I have been to GPs, orthopeadic surgeon and a muscularskeletal specialist. The Muscularskeletal Specialist was the most helpful..he gave me 8 cortisone injections into different tendons and ligaments in my foot as I literally could not put it on the ground for 2 months and having taken voltaren (50mg) daily for 2 months...anyway, I don't think I should have more cortisone injections (what do you think??) but I am still struggling. The lateral part of my foot is the part that was damaged and now daily goes into a spasm making it impossible to walk. ALso the soft tissue on the lateral part of my foot is puffy (swollen) and I get a burning tingling sensation under the skin on the lateral part of the foot. I have spent almost 3 months in bed, the only walking being around the house, absolute minimal walking and my foot still is not right after so much medication and injections...where to from here, I tried a physio but that made the pain worse. The specialist also does acupunture but I wonder if that doesn't aggrevate things as my foot is swollen for days after the treatment. Do you have any suggestions of what else I can try...which other doctor can help..vitamins..anything???Also I heard about Prolotherapy, is this treatment safe??? THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER - IF YOU ARE EVRR IN BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA WE'D LOVE TO TREAT YOU TO A MEAL AND PROMISE TO ASK NO MEDICAL QUESTIONS!! :)

Maureen, this is definitely not your “run of the mill” type foot injury. I know that 3 months is a long time, but these things may take much longer to heal. I think the next step would be to completely immobilise the foot in a cast and see what happens. Discuss this with your specialist and let me know what he said. Good luck.
PS. Thanks for the invitation, might just take you up on it next time I’m in Oz. :o)

1
Posted by: anxious | 2005/07/16

I don't know if you have noticed but there's a new foot specialist forum - perhaps they might also be able to help.

Reply to anxious