Question
Posted by: Foot | 2007/12/04

Foot Pain - Xrays show nothing

My mom refused to go shoe shopping with me from my young teens as I complained that every single shoe hurt. Turned out to be true, not just a family joke in the end!

I do wear prescription orthotics for very high arches (and all the problems that it can lead to) plus they added a metarsal bar due to pain in my toes. So it goes on......
Some years ago I had a bad fall and dislocated my left ankle. It was mis-diagnosed as a sprain for 6 weeks which didn't help. Bothered me off and on all the time since then. Lately when I am walking it just pulls like a sharp jab and then I am limping for a week. It pulls on the left side, the ankle bump swells up, the top of my foot is sore and very painful to turn to the right or to flex foot down or up. X-Rays show no bone damage, the doctor treated me for inflammation with cortisone (didn't help), I've done ice-packs, comfy shoes, no shoes and lots of anti-inflam cream and arnica. I had Ultrasound and dry needling. They say they can't tell if its a ligament or a muscle.

How do I have this diagnosed once and for and how do I treat it once and for all please??? The doctor has sent me for another set of x-rays tomorrow but I am sure it will show nothing.

How do you diagnose a torn ligament or muscle if it doesn't show up on X-ray or manipulation tests?

It's true - you never really appreciate your feet until they start hurting!

Tx
Foot

Dear Foot
Are you with an orthopedic specialist? If the x/rays are normal, this is due to soft tissue inflammation i.e. tendons or ligaments that are inflamed. Maybe he should ask a biokineticist to also evaluate the ankle. Physiotherapy may help for the pain as they can use ultrasound or infrared to increase bloodflow to the area?

1
Posted by: paininthefoot | 2008/10/20

I have had several knee ops resulting in having no knee caps, I suffer from Spurs and a little while ago I fell on my knee which was bruised badly, a few days later I started feeling pain below my three last toes and it is very painful there and also around my ankle, I did go to the doctor and well nothing was revealed, am I missing something?

Reply to paininthefoot