Question
Posted by: frustrated | 2007/04/08

foot drop and excercise

I really want to get fit and have had limited exercise for some years I am 50 years old. I have foot drop and limited knee extension and flexion (limited to about 20 degrees) What exercise options are available. Walking is painful and limited to short distance (i use a crutch) and with degree of stiffness cannot cycle or climb out of gym pools ( ladder starts too high up) I really do not know what I could do. Am a member of a gym and really have not found them particularly helpful.

Hi Frustrated

This is a really difficult one, I'm not sure I can help too much, i must be honest. It is going to require some creative thinking. My first thought was swimming, without hesitation, but that limit of not being able to get out of the pool challenges that. Is there not a way around that though? Some other method of getting out of the pool, because unfortunately, all your options in terms of cardio are out of the question - swimming is really about the best one left, and it does seem a shame to have to abandon that one because of a 'technicality'. So my earnest thought is that you need to come up with an alternative, even if it means telling the gym managers that their ladder is not suitable and they need to make another arrangement! You'd be well within your rights to do this and see if they can come up with some sort of arrangement or alternative.