Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/06/23

FOOT CARE

Doc

I was diagnosed in beg of May with primary lymphoedema tarda of the right lower limb. It was an agonising, frustrating 6-8 weeks before my gp finally sent me to a specialist physician (he had to rule out hundreds of other options before he thought it was necessary to send me to a specialist physician) who sent me to a vascular surgeon who diagnosed my condition. I had continuing pain and swelling in my right foot and lower leg which would not go away. I had such bad pitting in both my foot and right lower leg, my gp at first thought I had a blood clot. The lymphoscintigraphy which my vascular surgeon sent me for confirmed what he thought, i.e. lymphoedema.

My questions are:

1. Are there any extra things I should be doing regarding foot care, i.e. my surgeon did give me the run down on how imperitive it is that I treat ANY form of trauma/infection immediately and, if necessary, obtain antibiotic treatment to treat any abrasions etc. which dont heal. I do check my feet every am after showering before putting on my compression stocking for any form of problems and keep my toenails cut regularly etc. I have to do my own lymph massage treatment and exercises every am prescribed by my physiotherapist. So far I cant see any feet problems. I do seem to have a bunion problem of my right big toe - my surgeon didnt seem to make any particular comment on this.

2. I am going to have to invest in new shoes in summer. My question is is there any particular type I need to stay away from. I favour leather shoes because they breathe better and my feet tend to sweat a lot in summer. I use Scholl's foot and shoe spray daily in summer and was thinking of Green Cross or Froggies but am worried about developing blisters - I have a definite tendency to get blisters when wearing in new shoes. I have already had to go up another size for my tackies for my Walk for Life - I used to wear a size 6 tackie (1 up on my normal shoe size) - but I tried the ones I had and my right foot was too tight (with my stocking on - I have to wear it all day every day).

My lymphoedema is only my in my right leg at the moment. My surgeon said it could develop in my left leg - he hopes it doesnt and I also hope it doesnt! One stocking is more than enough to deal with not to mention the hoards of other things I have to do for my condition!

Oh and I am female (44).

Your comments would be appreciated
Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

You need to adopt a team approach, and certainly there is a team at the moment, your physician, your surgeon, and the physio. You must add a podiatrist to this team to not only take an active role in foot and nail care, but also to advise you on shoe selection, but also to be there to initiate emergency treatment of the crises like blisters cuts etc.. While this may seem trivial having a professional cut your toe nails and dress a blister, remember the surgeons advice, on not getting infections..
Call the Sa Podiatry assn 0861 100 249 for a referral