Question
Posted by: Naas | 2006/08/01

Foods rich in vitamin c-IBS

Hi I would just like to find out which foods rich in vitamin C can I eat to boost my immune system?I suffer from IBS so oranges and acidic fruits are obviously out.

Dear Naas
The following foods are rich in vit C: all citrus fruits, guavas, mango, pawpaw, kiwi fruit, all berries, spanspek, all of the cabbage family, sweet peppers. You need to experiment with these foods to see which ones do not interfere with your IBS as most sufferers have individual reactions which are not determined by the acid content of the food when eaten. Fruit generally produces what is called an alkaline residue in the body, so the original acid taste does not cause acid in the body as such.

1
Posted by: Little Nutrition Beamer | 2006/08/01

If you want to improve your immune system ,you should try echinacea.Tablets are available in pharmacies.It is a wonderful herb that boost the immune system.I know garlic also does wonders for the immune system.It is also available in tablets.'Vital' vitamins at clicks stores and other stores offer echinacea and garlic tablets.I don't know much about IBS but am sure the dietdoc does! Good luck, LNB

Reply to Little Nutrition Beamer