Question
Posted by: Trudi | 2004/10/18

Foods generating acid

Hello, My galbladder was removed in January. Lately I have been suffering from the following symptoms: bloatedness, water retention, burning in my muscles and joints, stomach ache (as if I have a stomach ulcer). The lady at the pharmacy told me that my body has too much acid. Could you please advise me on what foods NOT to eat that generates acid? I have found that tomatos and onions will generate acid. I do not eat fatty, oily or "rich" foods.

Dear Trudi
All foods and eating and stress will stimulate gastric acid secretion. You may well have an ulcer. If someone is suffering from an ulcer they need to be treated with appropriate proton pump inhibitors, antacids and antibiotics (if they have an associated Helicobacter pylori infection). Before such sophisticated medications were available ulcer patients were treated with the Sippy Diet which basically consisted of milk and other dairy products such as yoghurt and very bland foods such as potatoes, white bread, etc. Nowadays it is no longer necessary for patients to go on such a strict diet because the medication make it possible for them to eat a more or less balanced, normal diet, just avoiding foods that give the specific patient discomfort. If you have had your gall bladder removed, then you can use fat-free milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese which contains only a trace of fat.
If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/10/29

Does nexiams help for stomach ulcers and celebrex is it save to use for pain ?