Question
Posted by: Ross | 2007/06/26

Foods

Good day! Hope all is well with you.

I would just like to know the amount of protein i should eat to increase lean muscle mass as well as lose a bit of fat (dieted many times and eventually found that with my body type i should not bulk then cut, but rather gradually increase lean muscle whilst keeping my fat % low) I do weight training 5 days a week and on top of that i do 3 cardio sessions a week too. I would really like to add on muscle and decrease my body fat (im trying my hand in bodybuilding) please advise what it is that i should be doing and if there are any other little dieting "secrets" to reduce fat and/or lose fat.
truly appreciate your advise.... thank you.

Dear Ross
Thank you I am well, just feeling rather cold! If you are body building then you can increase your protein intake during the active phase (click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', paying particular attention to the articles on protein which list how much you need per kg when you are body building, and also the ones on carbohydrates). Carbs are 'protein-sparing' and all the sports experts I have heard speaking on the subjects of a) reducing body fat %, b) increasing lean muscle mass, c) providing sufficient fuel for your exercise programme, have repeatedly stressed that athletes, including body builders need plenty of carbs. Also keep in mind that it takes TIME to build muscle mass and decrease fat% - both of which are being facilitated by the exercise you do, so keep it up, but be patient with your body. The cardio sessions will decrease your body fat%.
Hope you achieve your ideals