Posted by: cookie monster | 2004/01/11


Dear doc,
im 16 years old and recovering from anorexia after being hospitalized 4 times. i would like to know approx how many calories i need to be eating daily to gain about 500-1kg per week,or even less. My BMI is 47kg( current weight approx 33kgs) and my BMR is 1400calories. The thing is i am now exercising, not obsessively but as a therapeutic help and burning between 300-500 calories 3-4 times a week. I eat well but sometimes over do it on the sweets,cakes and chocolates which doesnt bother me at this stage! Although is it unhealthy to be eating waffles and ice-cream for dinner and things like rusks for breakfast?
many thanks!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Reader
I am so glad for your sake that you seem to be recovering from this dreaded condition. The standard RDA for energy for girls of your age is 2 200 kcal a day. So to gain weight you should ingest between 2700 and 3000 kcal a day, esp if you are exercising relatively intensively. In your case you can include sweets and confectionery in your diet, BUT not at the expense of more nutritious foods such as milk and fruit. If you eat high-bran rusks with dried fruit in the morning together with fruit or fruit juice, yoghurt or milk and a boiled egg, then that is fine - a good breakfast is essential. For dinner it would be advisable to eat potatoes, pasta or rice, with lean meat or fish and plenty of salads, cooked veg and if you then still feel like a waffle and/or ice cream, go ahead. In view of the anorexia during which your body was badly starved of protective nutrients, you need to eat healthy foods right now to make up for the deficit. So don't replace healthy food with sweets, cakes, waffles, etc, but eat such treats AFTER you have eaten a balanced meal.
Take great care not to fall into the anorexia trap again - so don't overdo the exercise.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: cookie monster | 2004/01/13

Dear doc,
thank you so much for your help!
cookie xx

Reply to cookie monster

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.