Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/01/22

Food without exercise

I know I should exercise, and that is the main problem, but I don't often get the chance to exercise. Yet, I crave carbohydrates and sweet foods. Should I reduce my carbohydrate intake on days that I don't exercise? I have quite low blood sugar and blood pressure and I don't want to feel faint, but I do want to lose weight.
Thanx
Wendy.

Dear Wendy
If you have low blood sugar then it is important to use carbohydrates which either have a low GI or a high fibre content to provide you with a source of energy which does not make your insulin levels increase too drastically. Try a low-fat, high-fibre diet for slimming (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and do try to combine it with exercise. If you could join Walk for Life and go for a brisk walk 3 times a week for about 1 hour, this would make all the difference.