Question
Posted by: Biggest Looser | 2007/03/01

Food Suppliments

A friend told me that some people live on fluids only and take different food suppliments that gives the body what it needs from food and keep their slim figure. Do you know what are these suppliments and are they available in South Africa?

Dear Biggest Looser
There are many different liquid meal supplements available at pharmacies, supermarkets and gyms. For weight loss you can use so-called diet shakes to replace some of your meals, but make quite sure that a serving of the product you buy only provides 2100 kJ otherwise the shake won't cause weight loss. I would not recommend that you replace all your meals every day with diet shakes. Your body still needs some normal food (e.g. some dietary fibre to ensure that you stay regular!). The other alternative is to use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and to increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).