Question
Posted by: Concerned friend | 2008/05/21

Food stuck in throat

Hi there Doc

I have a friend who turns 60 shortly. Lately, whenever he eats the food gets stuck in his throat. Hardly a day goes by without him choking, mainly when we have lunch or supper. The other day, he even choked on a piece of cauliflower or bread with soup. He also only eat brown bread as he tends to choke more easily on white bread. He has been to the doctors and his goiter was tested but nothing was found to be wrong.

Perhaps I could also mention that he tends to tilt his head to one side. I have heard of a sindrome that people sometimes develeop with these simptoms. However, I do not know the name of the sindrome and I would like to know if it is treateable.

Dear Concerned friend
I think it may be worth his while to see a neurologist - it sounds as if he is developing a weakness of the muscles in the throat - this could be due to an underlying problem like parkinsons, or just due to very small micro strokes some people get at this age.

1
Posted by: mee | 2008/10/19

i have back pain so i took a pain tablet..it feels as if the tablet is still stuck in my throat?that was 12hrs ago??
please help

Reply to mee