Posted by: Boerboel owner | 2008/09/29

Food leftovers

I feed my 12 week old male boerboel Ultra Dog puppy food. Our helper however sometimes feeds him food leftovers during the day. I would like to know if this will be detrimental to my dog.

Dear Boerboel owner

In moderation not detrimental.

Posted by: jax | 2008/09/30

Another thing to consider is the relationship that you' d like to build between your dog and the helper, especially with a boy who' ll get really large.

In my case, I want the brat pack to trust my helper and to protect her when I' m not here. To date they have demonstrated that they' ll protect me from everything from a flea on up, but have been completely unphased when the tv or hifi were walked straight past their sunbathing noses.

When I' m not here, I' d like them to be a bit more proactive in defending her, and by default the house, so I actively encourage her to feed them, play with them and otherwise be involved.

If you trust your helper, then discuss with her what the dog should or shouldn' t be given, and the correct amounts, but encourage her to bond with him as well - and treats are a good way to start the relationship.

Reply to jax
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/30

ALL dogs like meat - even the commercial dogfoods use meat flavouring - don' t blame the meat for your dogs being poisoned, Cathy - blame the poisoner.

If the helper is going to be permitted to feed the pup - and, like WR, I have reservations about that - please be sure he or she knows also not to give bones indiscriminately - these can do a lot of damage of various kinds.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/30

Cathy - there is no such thing as "  Then they get used to the taste " 
Most dogs will take meat if they find it in your garden. Not just the ones that are used to it (except if otherwise trained).

Boerboel owner - I would however suggest that you do not allow your helper to feed the dog at his/ her discretion, but to rather let you be in control of it. That way you can keep an eye on the portions and avoid things like potatoes, raisins &  onions - things dogs do not digest that well..... and things like raisins are even poisonous.

You should not allow a puppy to become overweight, especially a breed as big as a Boerboel.

Reply to WR
Posted by: cathy | 2008/09/30

yes, especially if it is meat. Then they get used to the taste and get poisoned like my Labbie and Boxer!!! I would never again make any animal of mine used to the taste of meat... Believe me it is not a nice feeling to get up in the morning (4H00) to find your loved dogs dying!!!!

Reply to cathy