Posted by: Boerboel owner | 2008/09/29

Food leftovers

I feed my 12 week old male boerboel Ultra Dog puppy food. Our helper however sometimes feeds him food leftovers during the day. I would like to know if this will be detrimental to my dog.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Dear Boerboel owner

In moderation not detrimental.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: jax | 2008/09/30

Another thing to consider is the relationship that you' d like to build between your dog and the helper, especially with a boy who' ll get really large.

In my case, I want the brat pack to trust my helper and to protect her when I' m not here. To date they have demonstrated that they' ll protect me from everything from a flea on up, but have been completely unphased when the tv or hifi were walked straight past their sunbathing noses.

When I' m not here, I' d like them to be a bit more proactive in defending her, and by default the house, so I actively encourage her to feed them, play with them and otherwise be involved.

If you trust your helper, then discuss with her what the dog should or shouldn' t be given, and the correct amounts, but encourage her to bond with him as well - and treats are a good way to start the relationship.


Reply to jax
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/30

ALL dogs like meat - even the commercial dogfoods use meat flavouring - don' t blame the meat for your dogs being poisoned, Cathy - blame the poisoner.

If the helper is going to be permitted to feed the pup - and, like WR, I have reservations about that - please be sure he or she knows also not to give bones indiscriminately - these can do a lot of damage of various kinds.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/30

Cathy - there is no such thing as "  Then they get used to the taste " 
Most dogs will take meat if they find it in your garden. Not just the ones that are used to it (except if otherwise trained).

Boerboel owner - I would however suggest that you do not allow your helper to feed the dog at his/ her discretion, but to rather let you be in control of it. That way you can keep an eye on the portions and avoid things like potatoes, raisins &  onions - things dogs do not digest that well..... and things like raisins are even poisonous.

You should not allow a puppy to become overweight, especially a breed as big as a Boerboel.


Reply to WR
Posted by: cathy | 2008/09/30

yes, especially if it is meat. Then they get used to the taste and get poisoned like my Labbie and Boxer!!! I would never again make any animal of mine used to the taste of meat... Believe me it is not a nice feeling to get up in the morning (4H00) to find your loved dogs dying!!!!

Reply to cathy

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.