Question
Posted by: Katja | 2008/07/08

Food Intollerance -

My 6 year old daughter suffers from stomach cramps and sluggish digestion. I suspected a gluten intolerance but a blood test for gluten intolerance was negative. What do I try now?

Dear Katja
Unfortunately symptoms of stomach cramps and sluggish digestion in young children can be caused by so many different factors (food allergies or intolerance to many different foods and food components, besides gluten and wheat, lack of digestive enzymes, lack of dietary fibre in the diet, malabsorption syndromes, etc and even emotional factors) that I would recommend that you have her examined by a paediatric physician. Ask your gp to refer you to this type of specialist. If you cannot access a paediatric physician then I would recommend consulting a clinical dietitian so that the dietitian can do a dietary history and assist you with working out what is causing your child's problems. visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.
Holding thumbs that you can identify what is causing the problem.