Question
Posted by: Cautemoc | 2007/05/09

Food Intake after running

Once a week, I usually go to an athletics track and do some sprints, and quite intensive running drills.

I need to know what nutrition is best, considering the surface I am running on.The athletics track is a much tougher surface than the usual road or treadmill and somehow one feels like they have been lifting weights after doing some work on there.

Usually 2hrs after this excercise, after having drunk a lot of water and sports drinks, I then have a meal of Sweet Potatoe, lettuce and tomatoes.

Is this a good enough meal??
Do you have any suggestions to cater for the type of surface the training is done on???

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Cautemoc

If the training regime is requiring more energy from you as from other training surfaces you have to make sure you supply the body with those additional calories (energy). I suggest you train with a heart rate monitor to see what you are expending. Stay with the energy drinks while you are training as they provide instant carbs and hydration, but take sips every 10 or 15 minutes rather than down a bottle. Also, after the training it is best to replace the lost carbs with some quick carbs (high GI) and best if you use a supplement with a bit of protein therein as well – check with your pharmacy they will recommend such combo liquid products to you. Only thereafter – the 2hrs is perfect- follow with your dinner – the sweet potato is fantastic as it is a low GI carb, the veggies are supply you with fiber, vitamins and minerals – add some broccoli (green vegs) as well and lastly do add some lean protein like fish or chicken.

Enjoy your training – you are on the right track!
Vanessa