Posted by: Jack Sparrow' s Wife | 2008/09/10

Food, Glorious Food!

Hi there,

Advice from anyone would be appreciated.
I have a huge appetite. Especially when I ate breakfast early in the morning, I seem to have food cravings often during the day –  but over weekends when I sleep later and eat later, I don’ t think about food until I am reminded of eating much later.
Is there any way I can control my food cravings that I don’ t eat as frequently?
Perhaps a kind of tablet of supplement that I can take that keeps me full for long or control my appetite?
I’ m trying to eat healthy, but I always crave food.

Have a great day!!

Dear Jack Sparrow's Wife
Firstly such food cravings may be due to insulin resistance or hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) or hypoglycaemia to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR/hypoglycaemia and other conditions such as overweight (if this should be a problem), into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Eating foods with a low GI will keep your blood sugar levels steady for longer and thus not constantly trigger your appetite.
(Question: Is this Jack Sparrow the Pirate? If so, let me know where he lives!)

Posted by: Chene | 2009/02/12

Reply to Chene