Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2007/08/20

Food for yorkies?

I have a 6 month old yorkie. Besides the normal Hills pellets what other food can I give her that won't be harmful to her. She doesn't want to eat the pellets anymore.

I heard that chicken mixed with rice is good for them. What else and how often should she get these other foods.

Chicken and rice is a bland diet that is often used for settling stomachs after an upset. There is a food specifically formulated for Yorkshire Terriers - ask your local vet or Vet Shop to get it for you.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/20

Good advice thusfar. Chicken and rice is NOT a nutritionally balanced dogfood - it's used for specific purposes when there is a health problem, and not normally long-term. So do not confuse any recommendations for it as being for permanent use, in a healthy dog.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Jen | 2007/08/20

Maybe she is a little picky but from experience and also those that have taken puppies from me have found that they are not so fond of Hills and have found Royal canine junior up to +- year and then slowly introduce Vets choice Duck and rice has been the in thing. Yorkis can be fussy eaters so dont give in to easy. The vets choice I must say is quiet a hard kebble so you will have to see how it goes. My one yorkie does found it difficult to eat so I wet it just a little.(she is a a very small dog and does battle to chew it) You will see the Yorkie kebbles do tend to be a little softer.

As suggested by Felicity about the sample pack, maybe a good idea, but please introduce it into her food slowly otherwise you are going to maybe get her tummy running.

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/20

Keep her on the hills she is turning into a fuss pot :)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: felicity | 2007/08/20

Maybe go to your vet and ask for samples of the Eukanuba Puppy & Jnr Small breed or Royal Canin Mini Junior-fairly readily available and see which one she seems to prefer. I really wouldn't start on the chicken and rice as she is going to reject kibbles if you start offering too many choices and she will not get the benefit of a dry kibble to keep her teeth clean. The food comapnies have spent a fortune on research into dogs dietary requirements and the veterinary diets are balanced meals that require no addition of anything.I would try and persevere on the kibbles as she will eventually eat them. at the moment she is realising that Mom will give me something else if I go on hunger strike!

Reply to felicity