Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2005/11/28

Food for vegetarian

I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat onion, spring onion, garlic and chives. My blood pressure is usually quite low and I feel faint and nausea after exercise. I wonder if my nutrition level is insufficient due to the fact that I don't eat meat, or my ability to absorb nutrition is poor. I don't know what is lacking in my body and I'd appreciate it if you can advise me a healthy list of food/recipe. Thanks a lot!

Dear Cathy
It is quite possible that you may have developed a deficiency of one or more of the following nutrients which are lacking in strict vegetarian diets: a) protein b) calcium c) iron (which leads to iron-deficiency anaemia which can cause fainting and nausea d) vit B12 which can also cause a type of anaemia with similar symptoms, e) zinc, f)omega-3 fatty acids. If you also do not eat eggs and use milk and dairy products then you need to supplement your diet with a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn Forte, a calcium supplement such as Calcium Sandoz and a source of omega-3 (Salmon oil capsules). It is also a good idea to go for a medical checkup because if you do have an anaemia then you will need extra iron or vit B12 supplements.
Take care