Posted by: Nettie | 2012/11/03

Food for cirrhosis

Hi ,my husband is diabetic,had his gallbladder removed and has cirrhosis of the liver.What are the no-no''s for his condition,we try to eat healthy because of the diabetes ,but he was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with the cirrhosis after the gallbladder operation. He has a sweet tooth,but I bake diabetic,low GI cakes He also has a problem with knowing what to drink apart from tea.He has had a drink or sigarette in 12 years. Thanks.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Nettie
I am so sorry to hear of your husband's health problems. Because he suffers from diabetes and cirrhosis, it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your husband's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and cirrhosis, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for your husband that takes both the diabetes and the cirrhosis into account. You can contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: to buy a copy of her cookbook for diabetics and patients with insulin resistance, which is called 'South African Cookbook for Diabetes and Insulin Resistance'. This cookbook contains recipes including cakes and puddings which diabetics and patients with IR or high cholesterol can eat and enjoy.
Holding thumbs for both of you

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.