Question
Posted by: Mz Candy | 2005/12/06

Food For Bones

I'm paraplegic and need to know what suppliment to take to keep my bones strong and healthy. I have calipers which I wear now and then to stand and walk with support and find that this helps to an extend and would like to know what other exercises will help put pressure on my bones as I use the wheelchair?

Thanks.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Mz Candy
Most calcium supplements are fine- you just need to know what the elemental calcium content (true, bio-available calcium) of a supplement is and ensure a calcium intake of 1000-1500 mg per day (in food and supplements) 3 Glasses of milk more or less contain your daily calcium intake.
Regarding exercises- obviously the more you can stand, bearing your own weight, the better. Try and do this as often as you can- even if it is only for short periods of time. I suggest you also contact a physiotherapist to give you an exercise regime where there is muscle pull on the limbs as well as an idea as to which other exercises you could do. I would also advise you to see a physician who specialises in osteoporosis to have your bone density evaluated and to see whether your bones are still ok. You can also contact the National Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 931 7894.

1
Posted by: beki | 2006/01/17

My left big toe nail is a pain. Is there a medical procedure to remove it, permanently. Or where can I find help.

Reply to beki