Question
Posted by: Coen | 2008/05/21

Food combinations

I recently read an article about food combinations, and was wondering is eating protein and carbs together really so bad when it comes to food digesting?

When it comes to breakfat I love to eat my oats with a whey protein/milk mixture, but they say you must only eat fruit for breakfast.

This is difficult as I am trying to gain muscle and a lot of the food combinations does make sense but then on the other hand a lot of them don't.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Coen

Always evaluate the source of info before you trust what you read!

Food combining does not always support eating balanced which is the basis of good nutrition. Many foods in nature contain carbs and protein all at once – I think it is for a reason! The body functions best when in balance! It has the ability to, through its enzymes, to digest all macro nutrients (protein, carbs & fats) – and even when eaten at the same time.

What is important is not to over eat at each mealtime as that puts a burden on the digestive system, also try not to eat too much fat which is another culprit and eat quite a bit of raw food as they contain enzymes and obviously all the nutrients that we need to run an effective body. Eat six times per day, eat low GI, low fat – eat most fat at good fats, and eat some protein with each meal. If you want to increase muscle mass you can increase your protein intake up to twice your body weight and make sure you are in a positive energy balance otherwise you will never gain.

Remember – balance!
Good luck!
Vanessa

1
Posted by: Carmen | 2009/05/12

i TRAIN EVERYDAY FOR AN HOUR IN GYM - 56 YRS OLD - CARDIO AND WEIGHTS - I NEED A PROPER EATING PLAN - DO NOT NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT JUST BUILD MUSCLE TONE -

Reply to Carmen