Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2004/09/20

Food Allergy

I recently found out that I'm allergic to wheat, dairy, peanuts and
soya
The allergic reaction I'm having is heavy breathing problems. The Allergy pills I take, don't seem to help. Any suggestions? How do I know what ingredients contains wheat and so on.

This breathing problem makes my life really miserable. Please help

Dear Nicky
I can understand that you feel miserable. Seeing that you are allergic to such a wide range of foods, which are all used in practically all modern processed food products, you need to eat a very simple diet to prevent the asthma: fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, 100% rye bread, maize, and rice. Because this is a difficult diet to work out I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will assist you by working out a diet that excludes all these allergens, but still provides you with adequate nutrition. You should also consider taking a complete vitamin and mineral supplement, or a calcium supplement to provide calcium which you will not be getting from your diet because of omitting milk and dairy products.
I hope you will soon be feeling better.