Question
Posted by: merle | 2007/03/06

Follow-up to vitamin question

Dear Dietdoc, thank you for your valuable answer to my question about the confusing messages regarding supplements.
I'm taking Supradyn50 + (1in the morning) and a combination of EveningPrimrose and B6 (3 per day). I eat a bran-rich cereal with low fat milk for breakfast, and mostly get some balance in my other two meals (protein with salad/vegetables and/or fruits, almost no refined carbos). Once a month, during summer, I eat only grapes for 1 whole day, which really makes me feel "cleansed". Do I need the above supplements? Do I take in too much Vit A and D?

Dear Merle
I have just received a notification about the dangers of over-supplementation from the Association of Dietetics in SA and intend writing a DietDoc Topic on this controversial subject for next week (check out the DietDoc site on this Website after Monday). I reckon that your diet is reasonable and that you don't need to take additional supplements, except calcium - the RDA is 1000 mg per day and the milk you have at breakfast is not sufficient, So either take a calcium supplement like Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz or add at least 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt to your daily intake. Taking Evening Primrose oil is also not necessary as most people who are eating a western diet that contains margarine and/or plant oils (which are very rich in omega-6) don't need omega-6 supplements. What we do need is omega-3 which is found in Salmon oils, so rather take Salmon oil capsules instead of the Evening Primrose ones.