Question
Posted by: Lin | 2008/07/10

Follow up question

A few weeks ago I asked your advise regarding my forgetfullness. I'll forget the names of common things like a pencil. You advised me to see a neurologist which I did today. He did a MRI study of the brain pre and post contrast.
Everything turned out normal and the Neurologist is happy. He's sending me for a night in the sleep centre to monitor my sleep.
I've just arrived back home and read the report. It says I have an arachnoid cyst within the right temporal fossa measuring 1.7 X 1.3cm's exerting mild mass effect upon the adjacent temporal lobe.
The neurologist didn't explain this - seems not to be worried about it.
But, being only human, I'm worried about anything that's different on my brain :-? (Sorry)
Would it be posible for you to maybe explain it to me?
Thanks for your time doc!

Not strictly my area, so do also ask your neurologist to discuss this with you in detail. The fact that he is happy and not especially worried, and is sending you for relevant but very different tests is usually a good sign that what he's found is not too serious. Obviously any sensible person would be worried by the news that there is ANYTHING out of the ordinary within one's brain.
As I recall, an arachnoid cyst is a fluid-filled cust on the surface of the brain, usually congenital ( present since birth ) They are often discovered by chance as they often cause no symptoms at all. They may cause quite a variety of symptoms if really large, and these would depend on which part of the brain they'd be pressing on. It seems that some can be safely left alone, others can be drained in a number of ways. His behaviour suggests he doesn't think yours is likely to cause problems.