Question
Posted by: zelda | 2011/04/07

follicle size

Good day Doc,
(Using furtamed 100mg) I was at the doc on day 12 I ovulated on my left side the follicle was 36mm, what is a normal size for a healthy follicle.
And what are the chances of having more then one egg in a follicle.
Would appreciate the answers to this questions

Dear Zelda

The presence of a 36mm “follicle” on day-12 is not compatible with healthy follicle development. The usual size of a mature follicle just before ovulation is between 19mm and 22mm and once the ovulation has occurred, the follicle will then collapse and change into a corpus luteum which is a type of cyst. This is easily recognizable on a scan and therefore in my opinion either you ovulated far too early or alternately you have not ovulated at all and the follicle instead of releasing the egg has continued to grow. Your gynaecologist should be able to tell the difference between the two and also if not certain a blood test done on day-18 of your cycle for progesterone levels may be of importance. It is common to do the blood test on day-21 but in this case if “ovulation” is happening earlier then blood test should then be done earlier as well.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/04/12

Dear Zelda

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert