Question
Posted by: lizze | 2007/06/15

Foliculitis

I have acute foliculitis, this has been now for many years, I am 57 years old, but these boil type things are under my arm pits, on my vagina between my bum cheeks. I have been to my Dr and a Dermotoligist many many times, when a swab is taken of the pus and sent to the lab for diagnoses, the results always come back negative, I am so tired of having these things. I have had no hair grow under my arms for more than a year now. When I get one of these things, they go on for months, I have used Fusiden (I think I have paid for the factory by now and and and but nothing seams to keep them away. Please help !!!!!!!!!

Hi Lizze
It may help to take a low dose of antibiotic like bactrim preventatively for a month or so, bath in antiseptic soap like hibiscrub. You may have a problem with Low immunoglobulins and it may be worth your while to ask your Doctor to check your IG levels.

Axillary hidradenitis ( repeated boils under the armpits) can be a chronic recurring infection of the apocrine sweat glands, manifested by production of repeated boils and sinuses. Once established, the condition may be suppressed, but not cured, by antibiotics. Excision of the involved skin and glands is the only cure; but such resections are generally quite disfiguring. The exact cause is unknown, but a hormonal influence appears to be involved.

It may also help to put Bactroban ointment in your nose as this is one of the areas that the germ normally lives and grows.
See http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000281/