Posted by: justjenny | 2008/06/17

I have been diagnosed with folicilitus. For the last about 10 years I have had it about 2 - 3 times a year and always on my breasts, I go on a course of antibiotics and this clears them up until the next time. About 5 months ago I got it really bad, it covered my entire body, even in my groin. About 4 of them got so bad that they developed into boils. I had one on my breast and one in my groin that when they eventually burst had three heads. I cannot tell you how painfull these were. The "normal" small ones are very uncomfortable until they pop. I was put on two courses of antibiotics one by my GP and in desperation I went to a dermotologist. I had to have dressings done to the boils.
Since this last time they have not left me at all. I have 8 -10 constintley on my body (mainly my breasts) that are in different stages. I am seriously sick of them and want to know if there is anything I can do to get rid of them forever? Can my husband or daughter catch them from me? Please help.

Dear Just Jenny
One has on the skin a bacteria called Staph aureus, which normally lives on skin. In some people this bacteria level increases above normal levels and can cause folliculitis, boils and cellulitis. It breeds in dark warm places like inside your nose and between your toes. You can try to use Bactroban ointment /cream preventatively in your nose and between your toes, bath with Hibiscrub antiseptic ( be careful not to get this in your eyes) Ask your doctor to send away a swab of the next pimple to the lab to see if you have an antibiotic resistant type. As soon as you see a pimple starting, put Bactroban on and cover it with a Band aid as it is contagious. Do not share towels or washcloths with your family - it is transmitted by touch. Do not use loofahs or anything that may stay wet for a while - it is just a breeding ground for Staph. You may need to take a preventative course of Antibiotics like Bactrim for a month. Check your blood iron levels.