Question
Posted by: kumi | 2005/11/24

Folic acid........low sperm count.......

My wife and I have been trying to have a baby for years now. She has recently gone on folic acid which she now has her period twice in the month, before that it was every month, for 5 days. My problem is that I have a low sperm count and my sperm is about a teaspoon full. I have had test done and the results was that I was on the board line or lower for everything, and the doc said that I have an abnormal sperm count.Is there a thing like folic acid for men to take. Also a rush of adreline can change the status of the sperm, make it more active. Someone told me that it works. so i just want to find out.

Dear Kumi

The use of folic acid is purely as a supplement. In individuals who have a healthy diet otherwise, folic acid is of little benefit. The changes in your wife's mentrual cycle does not imply an increased tenedency towards infertility. Having a period twice in one month is not a normal occurence, and I would suggest that this be evaluated by hormonal assays.

Wiith regards to the sperm problem, I would believe that if the sperm parameters are all boderlinew than I would consider doing some form of stimulation to improve the sperm count. This would be in the form of PROVIRON or NOVODEX or alternatively even CLOMID in some cases for men could be of benefit. However, without the actual figures infront of me I am reluctant to advise the use of these substances as this is best done through a urologist.

It would be of comfort to note that even with very severe sperm abnormalities and deficiencies it is still possible, by means of advanced ART (assisted reproductive treatment), to resolve the fertilty problem.
The most effective means of increasing sperm activity is through a sperm wash done in a laboratory and then this followed by an intra-uterine insemination.(IUI - the sperm is injected directly into the uterus via a special catheter at the time of ovulation).

The use of supplements such as zinc may also improve sperm motility.