Question
Posted by: anne | 2004/10/18

folic acid: when to stop taking it?

hi, i am 15 weeks and my gynae suggested i carry on taking folic acid until 16 weeks. Is this correct, because most ladies i know stopped folic acid at about 13 to 14 weeks. Will this have any negative impact on my baby? I need a second opinion on this matter. Your response is appreciated. thanks.

You can continue folic acid right through pregnancy. No harm

3
Posted by: Marg | 2004/10/18

I know of some people take it all the time and have had healthy babies. Everyone is different and you never know there might be a reason your gyne told you to take alittle longer like you need more vitamines in your body

Reply to Marg
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/10/18

I am with Lee on this one! Stopped mine at 13 weeks.

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Lee | 2004/10/18

Hi there,

The gynae, normally only says take it for the first trimester, when baby's still developing all the organs. At the start of your second trimester you normally take your multi vitamins that are prescribed and they have enough folic acid in them for your baby. I stoped taking mine at 14 weeks. If you carry on taking the folic acid it shouldnt have any implications on the baby. Although you should call your gynae just to put your mind at ease.

God Bless and Take care!

Reply to Lee