Question
Posted by: worried | 2004/12/06

Folic Acid & Pregnancy

I recently discovered that I am 8 weeks preganant. I am now worried, becuse during the last 8 weeks I was on a good multi vitamin for 4 weeks with 200% RDA for folic acid, but for the other 4 weeks I was taking Spirulina which I now see doesn't have nearly enough folic acid. Should I be worried?

Also, I understand that they only check for spina bifoda at 16 weeks? What happens if my baby has it?

Taking folate does not eloinate the chances of a fetus with spina bifida, merely decreases the chances. What you have taken will decrease your risk though not as much as if you had taken it all the time.
If your baby has spina bifida, you would have the choice of terminating the pregnancy or continuing with it.

2
Posted by: lerita | 2004/12/07

yes it is important that folic acid CAN prevent disformaties during the 8 weeks after conception because thats when the bones are formed. Most of my friends did not take folic acid and healhty baies were born, Where disformaties are in the family or when you take medication (like epileptic pills) you are more susceptible to spina bifide and "haaslippe".

I have a friend that has spina bifide, she lives a normally life, is married and has a normal kid

Enjoy your pregnancy and the take of folic acid is the least you have to worry about

Reply to lerita
Posted by: Melinda | 2004/12/07

Try not to worry too much as this could harm your unborn baby. I personaly don't think that will harm your baby, i know lots of people who didn't even take folic acid cuz not aware that they are preggies but gave birth to healthy babies. Please don't worry RELAX.

Reply to Melinda