Question
Posted by: Lifesigns | 2007/05/22

Folic Acid and Valproic Acid?

Good day,

I recently heard that folic acid could have some benefit for someone with epilepsy. I was diagnosed with epilepsy twelve years ago, I year later the cause was found and I received a VP Shunt. I have since been taking Convulex 1000mg daily.

Unfortunately I am not covered by a medic aid and as such have to settle for a state hospital. I have checked on the internet and it would seem most information supports a 5mg supplement of folic acid, but I was just wondering if it would interfere with my current medication.

I have tried asking someone at the state hospital but they had no clue...

Thank you,

Lifesigns

Dear Ligesigns
Will do no harm and could actually be good for you as Convulex depletes folic acid.