Question
Posted by: Loly | 2005/07/22

Folic Acid

This might sound stupid, but I just had to ask the question anyway. I want to know it you tell the Pharmasist that you want folic acid or folic acid is included as an ingredients for supplements. I want to buy it but I don't know what to ask for at the Pharmacy. How much does it cost and how early can I start taking it when ttc'ing.

Thanks in advance,
Loly

You can buy it separately or as part of a multivitamin. It is very cheap and you should take it for at least 3 months before conceiving.

8
Posted by: Loly | 2005/07/22

Des, I know there is nothing that I can to ease your pain, but please keep it in mind that everything happens for a reason and GOD will never put you through something that you can't handle. You will fall pregnant and thank you very much for the advice cause I thought maybe I've got wrong tablets.

Have a wonderfull weekend thanks to everyone who replied.

Loly

Reply to Loly
Posted by: Des | 2005/07/22

Hi Loly

Folic Acid Forte is fine. My Gynae said that I should take those capsules while I was preggies. Unfortunately I miscarried 2 weeks ago - was 11 weeks, but I am still using them as I am going to try to fall pregnant again.
Good Luck with the ttc'ing.

Reply to Des
Posted by: Loly | 2005/07/22

Since I was very busy, I asked my Colleague to buy it for me at the nearest Pharmacy during lunch (Sandton). To my suprice she brought me Folic Acid Forte which cost R35 for 1 month supply. So I don't know if this is the correct one cause I heard most of the ladies saying it is not expensive, maybe less than R10. The one I have is in the pink bottle.

Reply to Loly
Posted by: lerita | 2005/07/22

Do take folic acid whileyou ttc. It is really cheap. You never know if your diet consist of enough folic acid. Folic acid helps especially when the bones of the little one is formed. This is in the first semester. Folic acid can help reduce bone deformity (like open lip and spina befide) with up to 60-70%

Reply to lerita
Posted by: Cam | 2005/07/22

For three months supply I paid R10 in P.E. They say the sooner you start with it the better. If possible 3 months before. But you must make sure you take them everyday during pregnancy.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

Reply to Cam
Posted by: Tina | 2005/07/22

I had pregancy vitamins that had the folic acid in it. I took PregVit SG - they're only R27 here in CT.

Reply to Tina
Posted by: TRacy | 2005/07/22

Ask your Pharmacist for Folic Acid Tabs - they are about R7 for two months supply.... really cheap (its the only thing that is).

Reply to TRacy
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/22

If you are just TTC then there should be sufficient folic acid in your supplements - especially if you take a 'womens' supplement.
You can get plain folic acid tabs as they usually give them to you during early stages of pregnancy. I can't remember how much they cost but they're not expensive & you can just ask your pharmacist for them

Reply to SLC