Question
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2004/02/27

FOLIC ACID

I am due to be ovulating on the 8th and i want to start taking Folic Acid for a bit.

Can i start taking them amytime and are you ment to take them for a certain amount of time?

Do they cause any sort of harm or side effects to yourself?

You can take folic acid anytime and it has no side effects. You should take them until you fall pregnant and then continue during the pregnancy.

4
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2004/02/27

Hi Wendy

Thank you, its i good thing as id ont smoke , i dont really drink and i very rarely eat steak.

I will get Folic Acid and take just for a while.

Reply to MICHELLE
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/02/27

Yes, it has extra folic acid in ( 795 iu ) and quite a few of the b-vitamins. You can use it before you conceive and even for the first three months of pregnancy after which you would change to a special pregnancy supplement like pregnavit or chelapreg.

And also remember, no smoking, only 2 glasses of wine per week and cut done on the caffeine. Also best to make sure all your meats are properly cooked ( no rare steak ) and don't eat anything dodgy, food infections in pregnancy are very bad and some can cause miscarriages and problems in the fetus so rather be careful as you don't know for at least 2 - 3 weeks if you are pregnant or not so also don't take any medication except panado or under the advice of your Gp and make sure they know you are trying for a baby. I've also been taking extra Vitamin C to boost my immune system as you seem to be more prone to colds and flus. Had a bad cold when I was 3 weeks pregnant and my Gp wouldn't give me anything in case so just took extra Vitamin C and it went away in 2 days.

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2004/02/27

So all i have to do is go into a pharmacy and get Folic Acid Forte which is a good pre-pregnancy.

Is that just the same as Folic Acid but just has a few more vitamins n it?

Reply to MICHELLE
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/02/27

Hi Michelle

You can take folic acid anytime, just go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist, the dose is normally 5mg once a day. Otherwise there is a very good pre-pregnancy vitamin called Folic Acid Forte which has a bit extra and a few other vitamins in it. It has no side effects and is actually essential because it prevents Spina Bifia in the fetus.

Reply to Wendy