Question
Posted by: Mary | 2005/05/26

Foetal Movements - 32 weeks ... pattern

I am 32 weeks pregnant, with my third baby (my sons are 15 and 13) and still paranoid.

I have been feeling regular type movements that I can almost predict them, but over the last week or so I have been under immense stress at work and it appears that the movements have changed noticeably.

When do I need to worry? Does the pattern change? Also 10 movements in a 12 hour period - is that every 12 hour period or is it pick a time in a day and count the movements 12 hours from there and the same the next day - once you have established movement. Can it also apply to say if the baby moves quite actively for five minutes, then stops for a few minutes and then moves again for a few minutes. Would that be counted as two movements or one?

Should I go to the hospital and let them check me out or what should I do?

Thanks,
Mary

The ten movements start when you wake up and for 12 hours thereafter. The best way to do it is to sit down for half an hour threre times a day, and just concentrate on the movement. Every movement in this time counts.

3
Posted by: Mary | 2005/05/26

Justine, Lee and GynaeDoc,

Thank you very much for your responses. I have been put some what at ease and have drawn up a movement chart that I can chart the baby's movements.

Thanks again for the reassurances as a 3-4 hour wait at the hospital would not have been fun.
Mary

Reply to Mary
Posted by: Justine | 2005/05/26

Hi Mary

I am also 32 weeks 6 days. I was also worried about my babies movement 2 weeks ago as it seemed he was hardly moving compare to the previous weeks. My midwife reasured me that as long as baby moves every 4 hours even if it is just for 5 mins the baby is doing fine. A few days later I decided to make notes of when he moves, and noticed that he actually moves every two hours and when I am very busy he actually does move but I am so busy that I dont always take not of him. But if you are very concerned that baby isnt moving as to your liking rather call your doctor and have it seen to. All of the best and take care of the two of you.

J

Reply to Justine
Posted by: lEE | 2005/05/26

Hi there,

Firstly congrats on the pregnancy, it is an amazing journey. If you are at all in doubt about your babies safety rather go immediately to your gynae. It is better to be safe than sorry.
On the otherhand when i was 28 weeks preggies i also felt lesser movement than normal, i was worried too so i went to the gynae. The baby was perfectly fine and the reason that i couldnt feel as much movement as before is becuase she was positioned in a way that she was kicking the placenta. The doctor says that when they are in that position, when they kick the placenta acts like a cushion and in turn the movements feel less. After about a week my little one turned again and the movements were much stronger.

Everyone is different and go with your motherly instinct as thats the best. IF you are worried rather go to your doc.

Let us know how it goes...
Take care!

Reply to lEE