Question
Posted by: tracey | 2004/10/10

flying when pregnant - is this true?

I flew to Durban last week on BA and was reading their inflight magazine. There was an article on flying when pregnant and it suggested that pregnant women should try to schedule flying in the second trimester as there is an increased miscarriage rate in the first trimester and the third trimester has other associated complications, including the risk of having the baby early.

Is it dangerous to go on a short domestic flight in the 1st trimester?

If there is arisk it is a small one.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/11

My gynae told me it was safe to fly all the way through pregnancy. He said that the risk everyone was concerned about was DVT (Deep vein thrombosis), which he said I would be at just as much risk of developing if I drove in a car or sat at my desk for extended periods without moving.

To combat this, get up and move around every two hours - whether on a flight, on a car journey or at work.

The reason airlines don't like you to fly after 34 weeks is in case you give birth. This puts them at big risk.

I flew at 13 weeks pregnant (JHB, Durban, East London and return), I got blocked ears and my nausea was worse.

Reply to Purple